Why you Didn’t get Called for Interview

Why you Didn’t get Called for Interview

Between Nebula Interactive and other roles I had in the past I’ve had call to recruit for a wide variety of positions and read a wide variety of CV’s. One of the first tasks when recruiting is whittling down the pile to be more manageable, the first step of any potential interviewee is to make it past this phase. Below are 5 ways that you can fall short of making the first hurdle.

  1. Lack of, or poor Cover Letter – It might seem optional but if you haven’t taken the time to prove that you are applying for this job specifically then I’m going to assume you’re the job applicant version of spamming and just skip it. Generic ‘I found your job online’ is included here. I like to see specific mention of the job description and why you think you’re suited. Even 2 points such as ‘I worked in a similar role where I handled x or y’, ‘My qualification in Graphic Design means I covered x and y in great detail’.
  2. Awful CV – Poor grammar/ spelling, badly laid out, cluttered – the list sounds obvious but if in doubt hand your cv to someone else and ask them for an honest opinion. If it’s difficult to read I’m afraid that only shows a lack of attention to detail that most employers probably don’t want to see at this early stage.
  3. Portfolio – While this doesn’t apply to everyone it does in the games and development industry and there is little that can be done to save a job application if you either ‘a’ don’t have one or ‘b’ it sucks. Not just in it’s content but for example if you say you are an accomplished web developer having a site that says ‘made for free with WIX’ on the bottom is going to be a major issue. As will having a site that says made with a free template or similar. Show you can do the basics or if it’s not core to your abilities have someone who can make sites have a quick look and give you a basic portfolio site. WordPress makes this very easy.
  4. Social Media – If you’re applying for a job make sure you give the links you want people to find (i.e. LinkedIn) and make sure your other social profiles are presentable if they’re public. A picture of you on a stag night should not be the first result on Google if your name is entered.
  5. Leverage your Connections – A picture is worth a thousand words but a referral is worth an interview. If you know someone either in the company or a friend of a friend then reach out to them. It might seem cringeworthy but with 100’s of CV’s potentially coming into the inbox, one that comes via a trusted connection gets to the top of the pile because it stands out.

Sounds simple but the above process can reduce a pile of 100 CV’s down to 10 or 20 very quickly and then it’s down to you being the right fit for the job and actually meeting the criteria, but if you think about it that means only 20% of the actual getting the interview came down to your ability, the other 80% was just making it past the first scan.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *